Last week was a bit of a disappointment. I spent the weekend in Seattle visiting my friend Rebekah and that was all lovely.
But then driving home, I made the mistake of opening up a bag of Kettle’s Barbeque Blue chips (I’m totally addicted to them right now) and I absent-mindedly ate almost the WHOLE bag on the four hour drive home. Ooops! That was stupid. I don’t even know how much sodium that was. I don’t want to know.
That means most of last week I paid for it. I’ve had to sleep on the couch at least a couple of nights as I couldn’t get stable laying on my bed. And I felt off all week, lazing around every chance I could get.
So here are my tips for speeding up recovery from an Hydrops attack:
- Plan on taking it easy for the next few days. If you can, postpone commitments and schedule time to rest. It always takes a lot of mental energy on my part as I deal with hydrops and my balance being off, and I find I get exhausted easily.
- Make sure you are eating low-sodium meals!
- Supplement with a natural diuretic. Natural diuretics aren’t enough to keep my ears drained on their own, but I find increasing or adding them in can help during a flareup to help things drain faster.
- Drink more water. If you’re on more diuretics, up that water intake!
- Experiment with nettle. I find that nettle really helps things calm down in my ear. I usually take two pills with each meal. Nettle tea can also help, but it’s not as dramatic.
- Massage your ear with oil. Encourage circulation around your ear and lymph nodes to improve drainage.
- To also improve drainage, try warming the area around your ear with either a hot water bottle or warm shower.
- Take anti-inflammatory pills. I don’t think these help with immediate symptoms, but I feel like they help my ear calm down quicker once the original flare up is over. I will take Neuro-flam, tumeric and ginger in various doses depending on how bad I feel. If I take too much tumeric and ginger I notice I start getting too hot and dry, so then I back off and use some coconut oil to help moisten my skin.